This basic recipe is standard and thus you might find it just about anywhere on internet;as the foodies travel, they keep adding variations to make it more interesting & thus more varieties comeup with same name & a little change in recipe!
Khaman Dhokla happens to be one these mouth watering delicacies!
This is a type of Instant Dhokla Recipe which has that special fluffy & soft texture because of acidity from citric acid granules..
1 cup gram flour(chickpea flour)
*make sure there are no lumps formed,sieve it before use.
1/8 tsp turmeric
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp citric acid granules
1 tsp salt
1 cup water
1 tsp soda bicarb Oil for greasing the plates
1tsp oil for Tadka
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds
2-4 half slit green chillies
a couple curry leaves
For Garnish: 1-2tablespoon of Finely chopped coriander mixed with finely shredded coconut.
- Mix the flour, turmeric, salt, sugar and citric acid granules in a bowl with a cup of water.Mix them together into a smooth paste, with a whisklet it stand for 10-12minutes.
- Meanwhile, Set up the steamer. If you dont have one, make one by placing a wide mouth stock pot & put the cooker stand(the thick metal ring that u place below the containers!), add the water to the level of the ring & take one big deep thali(deep rimmed plate) in a way that fits your vessel. when you place a thali in that,thr should be about an inch of space around the thali..
- Once you see the steam being formed.Add some oil to thali & brush it well.Add the soda bi-card to the mixture & Mix it gently with Spatula or hands. Do not use whisk for this!
- While u are mixing the batter, you will see it rising to upto 3-4times the actual quantity.
Once it rises,stop mixing n immidiately place the batter on the thali n put it in that steamer or in your stock pot steamer..This step needs to be done as quickly as possible. For bigger batches, add the soda to thali specific quantity in separate bowl & repeat the process..
Cover it with heavy lid. This lid should be covered with a kitchen napkin or with 5 folds of kitchen paper(bounty or any premium brand) in order to control the steam. This will avoid excess steam to accumulate on dhoklas & keep them moist.
- Let it steam for about 20mins or until tooth pick comes out clean! Remove it from the Stock-Pot or the steamer n let it set for like 5mins..do not cover.Cut them in squares or the shapes you like/i use cookie cuttter sometimes to make funny shapes for kids!!
- Do tadka of mustard seeds,sesame seeds,green chillies, red chillies on it..Spread it lightly with your fingers..you can also offer the pieces without doing tadka..if so, put some roasted sesame seeds when you steam it..this will give a nice flavor to it. Garnish with the coconut shreds & chopped coriander mix.
Remember: The Khaman Dhoklas are nicely done ONLY if the appearance is like angel food cake or sponge cake! otherwise it only means you didn't add proper soda or you over/under stirred it!
- you may use eno fruit salt to make this dhokla.if so, add this while you add soda to mixture just before steaming!
- you may use lemon juice(1 whole large lemon,chck the taste whn u use half of it..n thn only add the rest)
will post the pics soon...njoy & will appreciate comments/suggestns.